Thursday, July 31, 2008

Systema Seminar (part III)

In which I have an excellent, unforgettable morning.

*****

The next morning I woke bright and early. My internal alarm always gets me up at about 6am and with my headache and twitchy stomach (aka my hangover) I knew that I wasn’t getting a whole lot more sleep. I did doze to about 8am, but the day was much too beautiful to sleep through. The cabin I was staying in was almost all glass, but I didn’t feel exposed as it was in a pretty remote location, and there were trees surrounding the cabin. The View was spectacular. Trees reached towards the blue sky and the sun meeting them half way.

I finally got up and walked around a bit, not knowing what to do. It was about 8:30 and the seminar started at 10. I had stuff to do and needed to get back to camp, but no one else was up. I tried not to worry and enjoy the morning as there wasn’t much I could do. I didn’t have the guts to wake Alistair & Allen up so we could get going.

As I was wondering around, I somehow spotted a dragonfly wing, perfectly intact, lying on the ground. How amazing that it could survive on a dirt road without breaking! As I was looking at it Ryan, one of the participants from Seattle, came up. I gave it to him to look at then dropped it back on the ground. I would have liked to take it with me, but it would have gotten trashed before I got back to Vancouver. I thought it would be a good lesson in detachment.

Ryan encouraged me to go inside and wake people up, but I was too much of a chicken. I did eventually go inside to get a glass of water, but everyone was pretty much still unconscious. I asked Ryan if they were going to the campsite anytime soon, thinking if I could get a ride, I could get a start on things. Instead, they were going for breakfast and he invited me to join him and Tom. Since the living are generally more interesting than the dead, or just unconscious, I took him up on the offer.

Breakfast was interesting. The service was on Denman Island time, which means friendly, but slow. One of the locals approached me and said he could tell by my posture that I was part of the martial arts group. I think it was just that I came in with Ryan & Tom, but my ego like the possibility that it is true.

The food was good, even thought my stomach was still staging a major revolt in opposition to my actions of the night before (morning?), the sun was shining in the windows and the conversation was good. I was having breakfast with some of my people, regardless of the fact I had known them for less than 24 hrs, and everything was good.

No comments: