Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Systema Seminar (part II)

Once we finished for the day, the Gibsons group and I headed to the campsite to set up. Rianna & Jeff were kind enough to let me set up my tent behind their campsite. Actually, it was behind the neighbor’s campsite, they were pretty kind as well. Alistair boiled some water and made tea for us and slowly we went about making dinner. Everyone was very kind and shared some of their meal. Lawrence brought some sweet & sour soup that his talented wife had made, as well as some oysters and sardines (didn’t get to them though). Alistair made some soup with ramen noodles, spicy sausage, and other stuff. I made some veggie burgers on my new little stove. There were cracker, cookies, gorp and reese candy about as well. It made for quite the spectacular camping dinner.

We had all been invited to Vali’s (the teacher) after the seminar and at about 10pm Alistair, Allen and I finally headed out. After a couple wrong turns, a side trip to check out a map of the island and one hour later, we finally arrived. I found out later that part of the group had been an left by then, but there was still a good group of people left and we had a good time practicing another Russian tradition, Vodka shots, and listening to stories of systema, boarder crossings, and all sundry of things.

By the time we decided to pack it in, it was about four o’clock in the morning. Since we were in no shape to drive home by then, Alistair & Allen crashed on Vali’s floor, and I got the guest house which included a queen size bed and a duvet! Quite luxurious, considering I had been prepared to sleep in my tent!

No comments: