Friday, July 4, 2008

By Jove, I think I've got it! (again)

Last semester it took geology 1110. The idea was that it would complement well if I got into astrophysics as I would know more about rock. That, and rocks are fun. I have always loved picking up a rock (especially the sparkly ones) and wondering what they were made of; if they had names. Well, now I know.

I loved the course. I even got myself an A- in an otherwise mediocre semester.

Naturally, now I am obsessed with geology. So much so that I have given up on the goal of being a physicist (I always said it was the stars type goal, not really within reach) and want to be a geologist now. I love the idea of working with the land, the earth's crust; and knowing what the rocks are. Plus, there are jobs in geology- jobs are good. Jobs that don't involve teaching are even better.

So, now I am looking into what I need to be a geologist. It looks good. Much better than what I need to be a physicist. I still need to take physics, which is good; but I won't need (or feel that I need) A+ grades, which just aren't coming.

Now, of course, I feel like a flake. Before, I said that physics was my dream (or, at least, I was really excited about it). I told myself that I wasn't just looking for a job at the end of that line, but I really wanted to learn physics. Now, one crappy year and a collection of mediocre grades later, I ditch the pie in the sky and decide to go for the possibility of jobs.

I like to think of myself as a trooper. That I stick to it, work hard and get the job done. In some ways, I feel that if I let go of the physics dream, I am invalidating that.

Of course, that's hogwash.

I know that if I hadn't gone to school for physics, I wouldn't have gotten into geology, and where ever else that takes me. Geology may not be as high of a dream as physics, but it will still be a challenge. There is nothing small about this new goal.

So... here's to new paths. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Jelaina said...

Yeah! I think you got it there -- who knows when you would have taken geology if it hadn't been for physics! Woop Woop!

Lisa and David said...

If only life were simple - it would be a whole lot easier to figure out. But since it is not, we do the best we can eh? Lis GK